Friday, October 31, 2014

Unexpected wall-decor in an American restaurant in Doha



There was a Soviet WWII poster as wall-decor in an American restaurant in Doha . It was in ciril letters calling for the victory and tanks and planes - I understood only words .It has been for a long time that I used my Russian .One sees in Doha more and more Russians and does not get schocked when hears that they want to set up a Cultural Center in Doha . But an American restaurant to have Soviet propaganda wall -decor ! It was something totally shocking .

It has not been the only unexpected thing there - It has never happened to me before . The waitress took my changes with my receipt away though I did not want to leave them any tip . I left that jar with the changes on the table while I was reading an article . I wanted to finish that thing before I pack away my changes - then she came and asked me about the bill " It is arranged already " - I looked up from my paper then she took the jar away with 14 rials and my receipt !

I was speechless ! I could not believe that this happened . I left it with her just because I was too tired . She gave us a big smile and "Thank you very much for coming "

Their breakfast was OK . My kids were happier with it than me . I ordered Cajun omelet which was supposed to come with "smoked salami and jalapeno " .It had no one single piece of jalapeno and the salami was rather tiny pieces of ham ... well it is the cultural differences ... in America salami must have other meaning ... I told to myself . It came with two tiny pieces of bread ... for 25 -30 rial - I do not remember exactly . My kids were luckier -one of them asked burrito for breakfast which was full of mushroom and veggies - the others asked salmon sandwich with poached eggs . They did not have Cappuccino ! Only Latte ! How comes !No foaming machine or device !

It was not so original ! And the service was very very slow.
By the way it was Roger's Diner in the Suhaim bin Hamad street - nearly opposite the Red Lobster. It is  in the mighty looking building of the Qatar Rails.


No comments:

expat Qatar