Sunday, June 17, 2012

No cartoons on MBC3 - mourning the Saudi crown prince

My kids wanted to watch MBC3  yesterday . They were annoyed to see that there  are no cartoons at all . The Crown prince of Saudi Arabia died - there are programs commemorating him .( we have always thought  that MBC3 is coming from Dubai )
Seeing their  annoyed faces I remembered  that it was the same in Hungary some twenty years ago when  Hungary's prime minister died suddenly . He was not popular  for  everyone - so many parents were upset when the usual Sunday afternoon cartoon was stopped in the middle of the story and sad music came for an hour without any explanation .At least they should have warned the parents that not to expect cartoons  that day at all .

I am sometimes really surprised  on how much people love the rulers of their country . Once I was  working as a tour guide  with a  group of Belgian tourists .I eventually mentioned them that their king died that morning . I was very sure that they had already heard about it . Unfortunately they learnt it from me .They became deeply saddened /some of them even cried . The cheerful trip was over  everybody -  with no exception went into terribly sad mood .Like they lost a close friend or family member .

No comments:

expat Qatar