Wednesday, January 03, 2007


New Year came with sparkling sun and unusual cold weather in Doha.
It was also the last day of Eid. A" twin holiday" as the local media has referred to this coincidence.
It was not the greatest of our Eid holidays, however .My husband was down with flu .And he was not the only one attacked by a virus at the house. So was our computer .Hopelessly we switched it on and off – and it gave us sometimes ten minutes – and
We were able to use it. Then a total black out again.
New Year s day. My husband pulled himself together.
We went to a Chinese restaurant. It seems to me that no one is prepared for the cold here. It was O.K. - not a big deal .Chicken Sichuan style. I have already tasted better ones back in my homeland – in Budapest s Chinese buffets .There the cooks are real Chinese ones. Are the chefs here really Chinese? – I kept asking myself. Or Indian cooks- who know something about the Chinese cuisine?
It was the second Chinese restaurant that I have tried here in Doha. It seems to me- which Doha is the land of tasty curry rather than of the Chinese specialties...
Looking back to December – I can say – that it was a very unusual month. the cold , the rain , the visit of my in-laws – out of the blue .
But after all it was nice and busy month...Especially the children were happy to meet their grandma- and learn some Arabic... They picked up new words with light speed .It made them happy to feel that they have some roots somewhere...
It is very important feeling in this rootless life that we live here...

All of it made me remember my own childhood. December used to mean Grandma is coming and staying with us for a whole month.....

No comments:

expat Qatar