Monday, March 09, 2015

The expat curve





funny / interesting video on the emotional roller-coaster of becoming an expat
as for me I was prepared for many things but not for one thing - yes

for me still the biggest shock is the attitude of some Hungarian expats in Qatar

I was shocked when I noticed that many of them came from a very different cultural milieu
thus their values were so much different from ours
still we speak the same language still we have many things in common
it had been a dilemma for years ... shall I keep in touch with people who constantly annoy me
whom I would not make friend in my home country or shall I ignore them
I chose finally the latter ... I have had some nice friends but all of them had moved
we are a small community here and have been observing for years my less educated compatriots habits and
i could write a book on them -yes I observed attitudes that I believed that existed only in jokes ...

finally I found more in common with some non-Hungarians who somehow have similar educational background /profession /life experience

I finally think that there is not so big difference between people with similar educational /social background even they came from different countries .
The difference is much bigger inside one single country's social classes !That is a real cultural shock !

No comments:

expat Qatar