Saturday, August 02, 2014

Eid buffet lunch at the Sarangi restaurant -review

It all started as a nightmare . I bought coupons for Eid lunch . It was valid for five days .I called them around midnight on the last day Of Ramadan to book a table . " you want to book now, madame ?" -"It is nearly one o'clock" it was 12 :20 - but never mind - all supermarkets and malls and restaurants open at this time in Qatar. I supposed that a hotel's restaurant is open at least for booking a table ."you can call after 9 am "
So did I . I was informed that there are no tables for the first day of Eid .If I want to have one I should submit a written application by sms. At this point I would have given up if it was not paid in advance by the coupons .Written application ? And only by sms ? Plus the unwelcoming voice ...I have never had so much trouble with booking a table . After the first sms I waited ten hours but no confirmation was sent .I called them - the same unwelcoming Indian man answered - he did not get my sms - then I sent it again - five minutes- no answer - called them again - finally it came through .
After this prelude I expected that the staff would be the same at the restaurant - but luckily everything was different..It was a spacious place . The windows looked on other buildings of the area .Some of them were old /others were nicer . - the waiters were welcoming and friendly .Actually very nice to our kids . The Indian instrumental music in the background was really soft and nice .
I started with a mushroom soup and I was amazed . It was very well made . Oh boy ! Later I read that this restaurant have award-winning chefs .It must be true . Some of their dishes were exceptional .I went on with salads which were OK and some grilled veggies .I was happy to find shrimps on the salad table and different sprouts . By this time a tray packed with grilled cubes of fish /chicken etc was placed on our table .It was included in the buffet price . They were excellent .When I finished my entrees and grilled cubes I was full . And I have not seen the main course table yet ! I went there just out of curiosity . Irish stew /dolmas /butter chicken /rice /baked potatoes were the ones I remember .I tried some dolmas which was good and some baked potatoes - that was excellent . My husband was amazed with the molokhia sauce .
The dessert table was packed with traditional Arab /Indian sweets and some French pastry .I tried their fruit custard as my little son informed me that it was very good. Yes, he was faster than me with finishing the main course .It had wonderful natural vanilla taste . So rarely one can taste in Qatar .No artificial flavours- they must have been made of real eggs and vanilla ...Just like mom's ile flottant ...
Finally we had some mint tea .
It was the best buffet lunch of my life in Qatar . If only I could forget the booking procedure !

No comments:

expat Qatar