Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Red Lobster - Doha restaurant review

It is situated  in the center of the city . It is not a so friendly or picturesque area . From one side of the restaurant there is the huge traffic of Suhaim bin Hamad street   from the other side the rumbles of constructions of Al -Jazeera street .
 The gigantic buildings of Qatar rail on the other side of the street make me feel lost too . The lovely shaped restaurant is so much inviting ... and anyway I heard about their lunch deal on weekdays .

 It was a good idea to enter - that was my first impression . The place is the island of peace in the jungle of the city . Lovely interior evoking the life of fishermen  and sailors of New England . Different tools of the nautical life are also displayed .Live lobsters in a water tank .Three or four families are having their lunch with kids .
We did not come for a luxurious lobster meal - just for a simple lunch meal .
 It was only 35  rial . For this money we were given a three course meal .The first course was a creamy soup for me .It was too thick for my taste . So I added some water to it and some black pepper .It was better that way . Anyway - the scones which were served first were very good . I think in the US they are called cheese biscuits or cheese bread  . That came without order  - it is something that we call pogacsa in Hungary ....  childhood memories came to my mind then ... 70's 80's Budapest  cheap fish restaurant where the fish soup was served in cauldron and homemade  pogacsa came with it ...  for a price that even a middle class family with three kids could afford in the always expensive city ..... I think that does not exist anymore ...

 Then I felt back to the reality   - this is an American place in Qatar we write 2014 ...

 My main course the pasta with shrimps in Alfredo sauce . It was very  plain ... like a beginner housewife first try with this dish  - it was not a big portion but I felt I ate too much by the time the dessert arrived .The dessert with ice cream and brown sponge cake was a typical American sweet treat  that I always avoid but my kids ate it . The kids asked for different courses . Kids meal only for children under 12 year .They were given something to color and wax crayons .Nearly every meal came with French fries on their kids menu . That made my health conscious preschooler very disappointed .Shrimp popcorn was full of oil ... the fish sandwich looked fine but not eaten after   by them . The pizza as main course was better - they finished it all .

 Telling the truth I know that 35 rial was very little money for a three meal course but I expected something more delicious .

 I told to myself that I would return one day to taste a dish from  their regular menu and  not the value meal .
I can recommend this place if you are looking  for  a quiet place to escape  the urban noise .Their value meal  is  for you if you  do not mind  dishes in canteen style  with friendly  and polite service .


No comments:

expat Qatar