Friday, August 17, 2012

iftar buffet at the Al- Khaima restaurant or Fight For Your Food

It was some years ago that my husband had a company iftar dinner there . He had liked the place and decided to take us out the other day .
We had reservation and clearly stated that we were coming with small kids . We were happy to see that they have a big hall just for families . But when we entered we were less happy to see that it was way too much crowded . In fact one of our kids had to use the toilet and it was so painful until we got to the place - there was not much room for left for the aisle and we had to disturb people while they were having dinner .
I saw a lots of Arab expat families but no one local .
The second shock came when I noticed that they were smoking at the next table . When my husband went to the staff to complain he got the information that it is allowed to smoke at the family section. Family section -can you believe that ? It has a smoking area !
We had no chance to get another table .Do we have any excuse for not leaving at once ? Only that we were hungry at the end of the fasting day .Otherwise we would have left .

The third shock .
My parents always told me to avoid big crowds/pushing each other -it is simply not our style . So somehow even after living here for so many years it is deep in my soul -I rather wait .Ten minutes after that the voice of the muesin gave sign for iftar time - there were barely any food left on the buffet table .
So if you happen to go there for buffet dinner you have to stand and wait and push and take as much food as possible on your plate ... literally you are supposed to fight for your meal .

Finally I had some salad which is a healthy dinner but asking 70 riyal for that is a daytime robbery .I booked for an open buffet dinner which included there grilled fish/grilled chicken cubes /grilled lamb - but I did not get any .
I did not ask for nicotine and our clothes are still smelling the smoke .

This restaurant is for you of you got used to this type of fighting for your food dinner.
I have been to many restaurants with buffet dinner but I have never seen this unfair practice that I witnessed here . I think they should refill their buffet table if it runs out of food within ten minutes ...
For us "never again "

No comments:

expat Qatar