Thursday, November 22, 2007

Do not worry - it is only a virus







My kid got ill : running noise , temperature , heavy cough .I got her to the emergency Al- Sadd five weeks ago ."It is only a virus . There is nothing to do .Just give her some Panadol that is it ."
Nothing to do ? I was surprised . But why don't they prescribe some vitamins or expectorant ?- I asked myself .
I gave her Panadol . Her temperature dropped .BUt her cough was worse than ever . Actually she vomited every night due to that . After one week I took her back to Al-Sadd . " There is nothing to do . It is just a stubborn virus .” Was the answer again .”Be patient " I tried to be . We could not sleep at night . She had suffered every night minimum one hour by the cough and vomiting .Especially at night . I stopped trusting doctors . I looked for herbal remedy . I found some German ivy syrup . After rubbing her chest with oil - I wrapped her tightly . It helped a little bit .
Four weeks later I begged the doctor to prescribe the spray to stop her cough ."it is only a virus -she had told me - but if you want it so much - let s give it a try -and bring her back after one week "
The cough stopped as we applied the spray . But as soon as we tried to give her less often it came back as heavily as before .One week had gone again .We find ourselves again at the Al-Sadd . The doctor in charge was brave enough to prescribe some antibiotics and he looked annoyed very much when he learnt that she did not have any yet .
Three days later the cough at night stopped . We can sleep at night again . What a difference !
I am only annoyed that I did not care to learn the pediatrician 's name .[For asking his help next time to save myself and my child from the " it is only a virus" doctors .

No comments:

expat Qatar