Saturday, November 15, 2014

Thai snack restaurant - debunked myth


I had read so many good things about this restaurant before .On the tripadvisor it had been called the best budget restaurant of Doha . I had high expectations .

At least to eat something tasty ...

The interior of the place was shockingly low level . Very low ceiling with some pink paint and some posters advertising the Thai tourism and large -painted fans .

The guests were   strange fellows that one never sees in Doha . I just asked myself where all those people come from .Ethiopians or Americans in large group with one single female with them ,  old rocker looking Brits , some Far - Eastern people .

Their menu was very large .Illustrated . One dish cost from 20 -35 QR -the large steamed fish around 70 .One soft drink was 5 - home made ice tea 8 .

I asked for chicken noodle soup . It came quickly in a large melamine bowl . It was full of small pieces of chicken which clearly was not cooked in the soup -but looked like leftover chicken torn into small pieces .It was very disgusting -I had to force myself to eat it . It had no taste - I had to season it ...
The kids asked for fried fish - for 30 rials they brought some little pieces of fried  Pangasius fish  on a very small plate . The children
ate it quickly and they were still very hungry. I ordered two steamed rice for them - they served only one - then later they wanted to make us pay for three .
The curry was also very disappointing - having no taste - some tasteless gravy with very small portion of chicken ...

I am not a connoisseur of the Thai cuisine . But for similar prices I had already had much better meals at the Thai smile
restaurant at Al-Bida park .Sometimes I cook at home yellow curry in Thai style ...I have always thought that it was very amateurish dish - I just cooked chicken/beef cubes in coconut milk and Thai curry mix from the supermarket - but my beginner's tries tasted like gourmet specialty compared to this one.

It was not cheap at all - we payed 200 QR and we were still hungry .Next to us I saw a young Korean looking couple sharing one single noodle soup then payed . This way it might worth it .
I do not recommend this place to anyone . If you wish to have Thai food then rather look for the Thai smile restaurant .At least at the Al-Bida park they had a much better looking interior with tastier dishes and happier service .Now  that branch is closed as all the park did close but they have other branches in the city .

No comments:

expat Qatar