Friday, February 09, 2024

memories of my childhood - a nice winter day

 There were many pleasant winter days during my early childhood in 1960s Hungary.

However, there is one particular day that stands out in my memory, filled with numerous small details. The weather in January was snowy and bright.One evening, mom prepared a delicious fish jelly. She would kindly pour the soup into small dishes . Then she placed the dishes near the window. I was absolutely thrilled! Just patiently waiting for the liquid to transform into a solid.I inspected the dishes every ten minutes .

However, my mom found it quite amusing. "Not today, my friend."Tomorrow's lunch is going to be a delightful surprise - jelly!

I went to bed earlier than usual.Before I knew it, I was jolted awake by the sound of guests arriving. I heard the lively and cheerful conversation of the adults. It was late night

They were buzzing with excitement.

"Guess what? " - my dad stormed into the room ."Your mom's friend and her husband just had a new baby! Time to wake up and greet the new comer !" .


I was not in the mood .But my father kindly picked me up and brought me to the living room.I got a terrible tanrum . I kicked him all over and was screaming that I want to be put back to my bed .

Everyone was shocked . So was I .I did not understand myself ,either .

I expected some kind of punishment the next morning .

My mom just said, with a hint of sadness, "You made my friend very sad."
Seems like you were a bit drowsy and not quite yourself."

"However , just get dressed .We are going to visit my friend with
the baby. No kindergarten today . But y
ou will have to apologize . "

I was happy to find out that I could stay at home with mom and my six-month-old brother .It was cozy and warm inside. But it was even better to go out .Our compound was near a forest . It was a calm place to live at and that day it was also bright .Snow and sun combined with the crispness of fresh air . It was a majestic morning .


My apologies were accepted . I was given some biscuits and a hot drink .My mom and her friends were chatting about grown-up issues.. I was playing with the little ones .We put them side by side in the crib . They showed great interest towards each other . They were talking happily in their baby language .
Every now and then, my mom mentioned " how come !they were born just a few days apart! " It's something I never really pondered. I was just a young child, barely four and a half years old.
I only remember being happy for my little brother. He's only six months old, but he already has a friend! A lovely and happy baby girl !

After that, we walked home through the snow wonderland.
For lunch, we had the jelly.
The day was easy.I can still remember nuances about it, and they make my heart warm.

_____________

Prologue: The babies grew and became great friends.
This did not last forever.Dad got a new job.We had to relocate far when they were 4.
Friendship dissolved.
I just learnt more about that night when the baby was brought home as an adult. It was an adoption from a foster home..The manager made the procedure lengthy and complicated. While he was on vacation, the deputy director called the would be parents and gave them approval swiftly.














No comments:

expat Qatar