Saturday, February 17, 2024

koshary was great hit - last weekend - QIFF 2024

  I have  never  seen   so long  line in front of any stall . I calcuated  roughly   100 people .

The security had to put up cordons . Though everyone seemed to be waiting queitly.




I asked some women  in the line . 

"What are  you  waiting  for ? "

" It is   koshary "

"  Do they   give  it  for free? " 

" No , but it is  a famous one " 

I admire people who are ready  to wait  so much   for  a  dish  that is thought  to   stand out .

That's not  me  at all .I  just picked a Thai soup   from a stall where no one   was waiting .


Sitting in the park I  noticed  that  two  young Qatari  women  next to me were  sharing 

a large   cup of  koshary .

" Is that  the famous one ?" 

" Yes , we were waiting for it  one hour ." 

" Was  it worth  ? I asked

 They   did not  answer  just  gave me  a small  portion  for I can   taste it .

It was not bad .You know  fresh pasta  with  lentil , fresh tomato   sauce etc

The famous  Egyptian street food . A large   cup  for two people  only cost QR  35 .


Another  place  I  saw  long  queue was in front  of  a truck  selling nothing  but coffee .

 Middle aged and  younger  Qataris    were waiting     patiently .They must know the brand

from their vacations in London . "Grinde"


A  shorter line  was in   front of  a Chimney  Cake  vendor . That is  the famous  Hungarian 

"Kurtos  kalacs " - though  I think  its  origins are unkown  to many  here .Just they had tasted  while on vacation in England .





Compared  to the previous  year ,the festival's location  was far better .Al-Bida park is older and more charming place  than  the recently  constructed Lusail  boulevard .

For my taste , there  were  still  too many  burger  stands . Even  a  restaurant named " French  Cantine "

sold only  hamburgers and   fries .

A  few spots that  had something unique to  offer were ; 1 .Mammig Armenian  restaurant had  fish in cherry  sauce 


2 .The Balkan Food Factory made his  own  pita and offered unique  flavors and sauces .

3 .The  flavours of Peru were available  at Coya  restaurant 


Also  there was a  fancy looking gourmet restaurant serving dishes  starting at QR 85  for  a main course .It was absurd that they  had  a regular coke  on  their drink menu  for QR 35 .  Available  at  the  stores   for 2,5  rials.


Spending time in the park was very nice .Sharing a table with strangers . Escaping the cruel reality of this world ,of this era that we find ourselves in.






 





No comments:

expat Qatar