Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Iftar Dinner at the Mercury Hotel - review

 La  Brasserie  - was the name of the restaurant where we went some days ago . How very strange name for taking a dinner at the end of a fasting day - I thought . Luckily ,most  people here do not understand French  - then it did not disturb them .

 We arrived just on time for the iftar  . The receptionist looked on us and  without any  question he told us where to go . How did he know that we were heading to have dinner ? Did we look so tired and hungry ?

We were seated promptly - fruit juices and water on the table  to break the fast .  I am great fan of starters and salads . I was very disappointed when I tasted the lentil soup  -  the adas was cold and the harissa was nearly cold . The salad bar looked mediocre when I noticed the stuffed tomatoes .  I have not had this delicacy for so long time ! Not in  Qatar ! It was wonderful - the spices and the  texture  and the presentation in tiny bowls ! The whole thing !
 The samosa counter  ran out of samosas  quickly . My smallest child was yelling " Samosas  - I want samosas " - It would have been very embarrassing  if he  had been  the only one  - but luckily the restaurant was full of  whining kids . So my one was just one of them ! It took the staff around ten minutes to refill the samosa trays . It is not easy to feed  so many hungry customers !

 There were 5 -6 main courses  . I  went for beef picatta ! It was cold too  - luckily it was tasty even this way - actually I like cold meals   - I just expect the soup to be hot or warm at least ! So I went for  the beef again as it  tasted so good !

   There was some fish stew and rosemary lamb on the buffet tables . Vegetarian dish and tandoori chicken as well . I tasted the chicken just  out of curiosity  . It was excellent - but  by that time no more room in my stomach for main dishes .

 The dessert table apart from the chocolate fountain was very modest -some tiny cups with mousse or Middle Eastern sweet treats like Ummali or Mohlobiya .I liked their mohlobiya  served in tiny cups but   it shocked me that they were not able to provide me a dessert spoon . I had to eat from the tiny cup with a regular  table spoon !

 I know that we came with coupons but somehow organizing this dinner was not so much well done !
 Little things do count !  Hot soups ,dessert  spoon  or providing  tea at the end of the meal would not have cost much money - just some effort !
 Their waiters and waitresses were nice and helpful - the cook made wonderful dishes but the whole thing missed   a conductor  -a  manager who would  have organized  the whole event to be flawless !

 We had some coffee khalejee style at the end  -as there was no tea available and took a family photo at the decorative Ramadan table in the  lounge .All in all it was not a bad dinner -  I think this will be the thing that we will remember - if we look at the photo after some years !

No comments:

expat Qatar