Friday, April 25, 2014

Mr. Gyros restaurant review

Mr ,Gyros is an American Greek restaurant at Al-jazeera petrol station . I had  this strange idea the other day to try their gyros.  I managed to overcome my phobia of petrol station eateries after the deadly blast in February . And I put my prejudices aside about American cuisine as well.
What can go wrong with a gyros ?- I thought . The marinated slices of steaks are roasted on rotating spit and cut and served with salad and pita bread .It simply can't be spoilt ...

Well ,well - I was very naive . I love shawarma as well   but I wished to eat gyros  the way we used to have it in Hungary .Much better than the shawarma  around here . I remember a friend of mine who married a khaleeji guy then when in Hungary he found it very strange that a country like Hungary  have far better and more delicious shawarma /gyros than the  wealthy place where he grew up .
Money can't buy everything -it seems .

 Well - we bought our gyros meal   around 40 rials . We got a tray with the meat /some rice .dressing ,salad . Then I got the big surprise  - this American gyros tasted no gyros at all -but it had the taste of canned meat .
If you do not mind that then I can recommend the place  - it is the usual  American look - posters on the wall -nice wooden chairs -polite service ... even their banana milk shake was nice .... for 20 rial !

Otherwise I felt it was pure waste of money .

No comments:

expat Qatar