Tuesday, April 08, 2014

California Tortilla in Doha

It was during the latest food festival that  I noticed long line  in front of  California Tortilla's tent  so II decided then to visit this place one day  and try the food there .It is easy to find - it is nearly opposite the Chili's  restaurant which is near the Ramada junction -  it is next to the Korean Garden restaurant .
Easy to find the place but the parking is not so easy  though  behind the building there are some chances to find  a place to park  one's car .



California Tortilla  - as its name suggests it is about  Mexican cuisine  with American twist .

I was in a hurry when I ordered  Quesadilla so I asked the  Filipino cashier to suggest me one - and without paying attention to what she told me I took it . What can go wrong with a  quesadilla   - I thought ? Well it was sweet ! It was a  BBQ sauce type ! Oh nooo ! I will never ask a Filipino to recommend me a dish again , They are into sweet sauces on stews -it is something that I can not bear .
 The grilled chicken salad was good . The chicken breast was tender and generous size .The avocado  dip was fantastic  but the salad itself was not very original - some lettuce and tomatoes .It came in a fun eatable bowl .
 The same went for the grilled beefsteak salad . My kids loved the nachos and the kids meal  burrito .



 Prices were less than in the Chilies   but   quesadillas   are more expensive than in the DQ . I must admit that I prefer that  one .

I am not an expert of Mexican food but some 20 years ago I   remember visiting one Mexican restaurant  in Heidelberg , Germany  - it was an open buffet then . It surprised me then how much the dishes  tasted like our Hungarian dishes .
 Here I did not have this experience at all . I would call it not Mexican but " healthy version of American fast food with Mexican inspiration " . Why was there a long queue  at the Food festival at their stall ? The only explanation I found is that there are so many Californians are living among us in Doha . They  must have been homesick .


 Service was  nice and polite / the restaurant was spacious  and clean  and they had even a play area for kids .

 Visit their page 
 See their menu

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would agree that it is not traditional mexican food but more of a fast casual Tex-Mex restaurant. I hope that you have tried more mexican food than just the one you had in Germany, if you haven't you're truly missing out on something delicious and amazing. As an American with an Mexican background this place is good but there is definitely room for improvement.

expat Qatar