Tuesday, January 10, 2012


A new cafe in Doha - cafe Ducasse .It serves light meals ,sandwiches, salads , cakes and other kinds of desserts and drinks . It is in the Museum of Islamic Art .The building itself is very special . It was designed by I. M. Pei . You arrive to the huge lobby and you find a fountain in the middle . Now the fountain is surrounded by the chic sofas chairs, and armchairs of this cafe . As you go towards the glass wall you can find more seats - it is really very romantic you can watch the sea while sipping your coffee .

It was a Savoy Cake and cottage cheese with chestnut cream that we ordered . The Savoy Cake is a vintage style French pastry and it was good with the cappuccino . The chestnut cream was some kind of thick  chestnut preserve ( like Bonne Maman) and some kind of heavy yoghurt .Ducasse might be considered  as one of the best chef in the world but I have eaten much better chestnut dessert in Hungary ,. Chestnut puree with cream - at any Hungarian cake shop you will find that  in the cities or in the rural areas . A treat that I miss so much here in Qatar .For long time I believed that it is some kind of Hungarian recipe . Recently I have found that it is an old vintage recipe  just somehow it was forgotten in other parts of the world and preserved in my country .   
 So again I learned that when about food and eating not sure at all that you find the best flavours at the top restaurants .It is all about advertising marketing . My grandma's scones and cottage cheese turnovers were far better than any bakery products that I have ever tasted .
Well that is all that I think about  those posh places . It is worth visiting the museum and it is a very special place to sit around   the service is very nice and their drinks and cakes might be delicious  ....but you might have tasted better things somewhere else ...

No comments:

expat Qatar