Sunday, May 11, 2008

PERSIAN RESTAURANTS - Shater Abbas

Lamb for our weekend picnic lunch ? - we nearly got objected as we do not like it -but when we tasted with my daughter the dish called "riyash " which seemed to be some spicy grilled lamb chops -then we were more than satisfied .It was a half year ago .Then we decided that we have to visit once the Shater Abbas restaurant for we can learn more about the Persian cooking here .

We entered the restaurant and went up the badly designed steps . It was a large place with separated family section -and even with some totally separated compartments . The whole place had some retro touch -and suddenly I felt as I was with my father in a club's restaurant at Lake Balaton as a little girl.Some columns as decoration even added to this feeling with their metallic op-art style .The walls were tiled with yellowish pattern -which was imitating a Persian carpet on the wall .One or two of this pattern was OK but it was repeated too many times all around us and made me feel dizzy . The wooden partition was decorated with art-deco motifs .The tables were large and nice and the chairs as well -they made me feel I am at an elegant place .Then I had to face a large screen on which there was a football match on -and it made me feel as I was at a pub .
I had mixed feeling about the interior design .I thought that the original design was spoiled with some amateur's elements .What a pity !
We opted for the open buffet .The tables were nicely set .The selection of dishes was very big - two long tables were full of main dishes .
A smaller table was dedicated to the hors d'ouvres and salads .
I started with mutabal -which is my favourite anyway - but it was the best I have ever tasted .The baba ganough was also very good .I went on with some soup - the addas was wonderfully spiced and the classic mushroom soup was excellent .
As a main course I chose first some khorma with beef and bean - it was not my plate of khorma .... Then I opted for some chicken biryani -it was very plain - almost supermarket quality .The kofta with potato in tomato sauce was very good .
I was almost full when I ventured for some mashi -in tomato sauce .It was some stuffed green pepper or zuccini - and it was surprisingly similar to the Hungarian dish called "stuffed pepper" ,some spicy roasted chicken was also tasted by me -and I felt sorry that I had not discovered it earlier .
There were too many dishes - and most of them one can't even taste .
The selection of the dessert was too modest compared to the main course selection : some egg custard in oriental style ,baklava ,melon .
The buffet lunch was QR 55 for adults and QR 35 for children .As they did not offer any kids meal we had to pay that for our four year old .It is not fair price for a small kid - I think .Plus we had to pay 17 % service charges though nobody served us .
The toilets were nicely designed with red and white tiles -but badly maintained .The flush was not working and the floor was flooded with muddy water .There was a cleaner who had some tools very 'retro 'besides she had to clean the glasses at the drink bar and even she had to serve some water to the guests .
Most of the customers seemed to be Arabs and Persians .It was full on Friday.

See other review !

No comments:

expat Qatar