Sunday, June 08, 2014

Fresh salmon salad for snacks ???

As I am browsing the homepages of international schools in Qatar I noticed that some of the posh schools- or wanna-look-posh schools- want to act as professional nutritionist .I wrote about a British school which has a long list of forbidden food items like pizza or chocolate or cereal bars and any kind fruit juice giving no clues to the parents what on earth is allowed to take for snacks to that school . They also threaten the prospective students' wards with monitoring the snack boxes ...

I found a more liberal school's home page where they rather give advice than forbid . That is nice - but how deep were they thinking about the climate of Qatar and the food items that they recommend ?I was shocked to read that they suggest the parents packing snacks like "tuna and salmon salad " " hard boiled eggs " " milk based puddings""milk based soups " . Should we risk food poisoning for the sake of healthy snacks ?It is well over 40 C during the last and first months school year in Qatar . Though everything is air-conditioned but it gets quite hot in school buses sometimes .

I am not against health food but the lack of common sense which makes me vexed . How about selling those healthy food items at schools ?

No comments:

expat Qatar